Thursday, November 04, 2010

Craigslist has a serial "Flagger"

The site Craigslist.org, specifically the site for Springfield, Illinois [ http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/ ] has a section called "Rants and Raves" where people usually post general complaints or compliments about anything.

The problem is that some users indiscriminately "flag" posts, not because they are offensive, but simply because the user wants to feel some sense of power. This comes from a sense of inferiority, or perhaps the user feels powerless over his or her own life and feels the need to lash out, much like a serial killer of online posts.

Another problem is that Craigslist.org automatically removes the posts that are flagged, without reviewing the posts first, then they send an email stating "98% of posts flagged are removed legitimately...but feel free to re-post if you feel...." Actually, the opposite is true. I can say this because my posts that were flagged were all perfectly acceptable for the forum, because you see, I am not only a college graduate, my degree is in communication.

There's really no way to deal directly with the serial "Flagger." Some users actually attempt to get back at the flagger by posting insults and complaints about him or her, but this just validates the flagger, making the flagger feel more powerful.

I propose a solution for this problem. Instead of allowing a post to be removed because it was flagged by only one other user, a post should be flagged by no less than 10 separate users before it can be removed. This way, either a consensus about the offensiveness of a post must be created, or the flagger will need to have ten separate computers with ten different IP addresses from which to flag a post for removal at Craigslist.

I hope the administrators over at Craigslist.org take my suggestion seriously.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with many of your points. I was in contact with Mr Craig Newmark, founder of Craigslist. It was thru his email address anyway.
    I explained how the serial flaggers have basically ruined the R&R.
    He decided that my email address that account was under was the reason for the flaggers flagging. I explained that it was my understanding that my email address was known only to me and to Craigslist. I then asked him how the flaggers would know my address? He didn't respond.
    The offensive address known ONLY to me and to Craigslist (and now you),
    screwtheflaggers@ an email domain.
    Most of my posts have not insulted the serial flaggers.
    I ask them to post an explanation of their reasons for flagging so many posts.
    No response.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone is attempting to entirely wipe out all posts from Springfield at Craigslist Rants and Raves. This systematic approach appears to be an organized effort at censorship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:09 PM

    Craig is phony and a liar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. security guard pricing info

    ReplyDelete

Comments?