Sunday, April 08, 2012

Town trapped

I don't really have anything tonight. I just don't have any motivation to continue writing about Springfield. I'm a photographer and media producer by hobby and I am out of things to do in Springfield worthy of my skills.

My lack of motivation is tied directly to the fact that I had to go all the way to Jacksonville to find a job, so my bitterness for Springfield is compounded. I grew up in this town and the most salient memory I have is sitting on my front porch with my friends and asking "what do you want to do today?" The answer was invariably "I don't know."

I keep seeing the same jobs show up in the newspaper classified ads every few months so I assume either the employer or the employee gets fed-up. I stopped submitting my resume to the anonymous post office box at One Copley Plaza because of the potential for fraud. I never get a response.

I'm confident that Springfield and Illinois are headed for deep austerity measures as higher gas prices and stagnant wages lead to lower tax revenue. A vicious cycle of state worker layoffs, increasing taxes, an exodus of businesses and private sector workers, compounded by exponentially climbing debt, will collapse Illinois into bankruptcy. Perhaps Carlos Slim can bail out Illinois.

Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?