Monday, December 07, 2009

Seasonal Affective Disorder is man-made.

‘Tis the season to watch others express joy and love.

Do jewelry advertisements capitalize on the gift-giving season? Not really because the primary function of jewelry is reward. The secondary function of jewelry is expression of wealth, and finally, investment. The order might be different for everyone, but that’s another story.

During Christmas, the perceived context of the act of giving, changes from a wide variety of rationalizations throughout the rest of the year, to a sharp focus at Christmas. At other times of the year I could think of a dozen other reasons why some guy would spend a few months salary on a diamond for his wife or girlfriend.

During that time it doesn’t become personal for me and so the advertising slips away into oblivion after the commercial is over. It’s like that for me because I’m single, but also because one advertisement I see most frequently is the one with the jealous GPS device that won’t let the man out of the car. The other non-Christmas ads portray women talking about some other woman who received jewelry.

But at Christmas, the frequency of jewelry advertising increases, and the context of the advertising shifts from a variety of scenarios to one sharply focused, unambiguous global ritual to which we men measure our own value.

The commercials shift directly to the source of the commotion the other actors were talking about the rest of the year, straight to the couple. And I watch as others are able to give and receive love and joy this holiday season.

I can’t give someone a diamond. I can’t give someone a car. Maybe that’s why nobody calls. According to mass media hype, if I could give away diamonds and cars I would have a massive entourage. If you ever watched shows like “Where Are They Now” or any show about lottery winners, you would understand that the entourage disappears when the money runs out. It’s really sad when you’ve got nothing else anyone wants.

It is my perception that others’ expectations are beyond my reach. I feel this way most of the time but especially during the holidays when it seems like everyone else is capable of giving something that someone else appreciates.

Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?