Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sacred Cow, part II

Well they did it. The Illinois State Journal register printed my letter about not cooking and instead, eating only fresh fruits and vegetables.

I’m not going to imagine that it was my blog that motivated them, only the huge stack of letters on top of mine.

I am a little disappointed that my telling readers to stop cooking or buying processed foods didn't give them reservations about the letter's publication.

I was at Aldi's getting Broccoli, Bell Peppers, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Garlic, and Tomatoes when I saw this Trail Mix from a company called Southern Grove. I'll admit it is packaged but some of the vegetabes are too and that's unavoidable. I tried it and it was quite good.

Trail mix has dehydrated fruit and the drying process may or may not be natural. It seemed harmless enough, but a closer inspection revealed such things as "Sulfer Dioxide to preserve color" and "colored with Titanium Oxide"

It was pretty good despite having a material component commonly found in farts. (1)

The Sacred Cow is very real however. What else is sacrosanct? How about these gems:

• Stop driving cars. Ride bicycles instead. Got a problem with that? Read on.

• Live near where you work. People who live in Springfield and work in Springfield should get special parking stickers that give them privileges. Everyone else should pay extra (besides what they pay at the gas pump. Better yet, they should pay the city exactly the same amount of money they spend on gas commuting to and from Springfield for work every day.)

-----------
(1) Sulfur Dioxide (http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/020800pubadfarts.htm) see the paragraph on "Gas Solutions."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?