Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rod and Judas

Reading the article this morning at the SJ-R website about the trial of Rod Blagojevich, the former governor of Illinois who was impeached after being arrested on corruption charges. [ http://www.sj-r.com/carousel/x1932554589/Blagojevich-awaits-testimony-of-FBI-agent-ex-aide ]

I was suddenly struck by thoughts of Judas Iscariot. I have to break down why I thought of Judas while reading about the former governor.

While being raised a Christian I was taught that Judas betrayed Jesus to the Romans which eventually led to Jesus' crucifixion. I hated Judas. I think everyone else did too. But logically the dividend of the betrayal of Jesus was allegedly the salvation of everyone, so Judas really wasn't such a bad fellow after all. So what does this have to do with Rod Blagojevich? Not what you think.

The metaphor I'm going for here is that Rod Blagojevich is Judas, not Jesus. Jesus in this metaphor is actually the state of Illinois, but not literally. The Jesus metaphor here is the public perception of the Illinois government.

Judas (Blagojevich) is betraying Jesus (the public perception of Illinois) to the Romans (the reality of Illinois government).

Ultimately, since the Rod Blagojevich trial is tearing the veneer from Illinois government, I think we should give our former governor a little credit. Sort of like Judas, because Illinois government needs to be crucified, and it looks like this trial is starting to get that ball rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?