Sunday, June 27, 2010

The old woman in the Scooter

Today I was at work and I walked passed a door. Glancing out I saw an old lady at the far end of a parking lot sitting on one of those scooters for the walking semi-impaired.

A harsh wind was blowing. I could tell by the whipping of the American flag on the back of her mode of transportation which itself was red.

She was out there by herself, her face was down, protected by her arms. I couldn't tell if she needed help. I wondered if the battery was dead in her scooter.

I continued walking a few feet, then thought that I should at least see if she was okay. Maybe she was merely waiting for a ride, but I wasn't sure. Maybe she really was in distress. I sighed, turned, and started to push open the door. It was particularly difficult. The wind was very hard at that moment.

She tilted her head up and I saw the cigarette dangling in her mouth. She was out in the far reaches of the parking lot because the hospital has a rule. No smoking on the property.

I walked away wondering if those scooters served to extend the smoking habits of people who can no longer walk because they smoked so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?