Sunday, May 17, 2009

The art fair clouded by metal music?

Art Fair? If you subscribe to the Illinois State Journal-Register, you may accidentally read about the art fair a couple of days in advance, if you're lucky. I also discovered it listed at the Illinois Times website as well, but only after breaking through the barrier of being put-off by it for so long.

Why was I put off by it? I have an aversion to so-called "metal" music. Substitute the word "bad." I was classically conditioned against it when my ears rang for a week after a particularly bad experience. I thought I was going to have permanent Tinnitus.

So naturally browsing through the "Pub Crawl" section of Illinois Times I see listing of band after band playing in bar after bar. My head would start to hurt and I would put the magazine down, for literally months.

Websites such as eventful.com are a very poor source of information because the site relies on input from local individuals. Eventful.com is full of similar music venues as Illinois Times.

I was getting just as put-off by it as I was Illinois Times, but someone actually posted the Illinois State Fair, an event that requires no late nights, no alcohol consumption, no ear plugs, and does not close at five o'clock.

But sadly, the Art Fair going on right now at the Old State Capitol cannot be found at eventful.com

Sites like Craigslist.com have event sections, but they are clogged with advertising that have nothing to do with local events. No mention of the art fair there either.

The underlying problem is the distribution and saturation of event information. Publishers, in their attempt to reach the widest audience possible, have homogenized their content to such a degree that their product becomes unattractive.

I added http://www.bandnut.com/ to my list of links. If you in a band you can post your venues and other stuff there, and you can stay there.

I'm going to check out the nice peaceful art fair. Maybe next time I'll pick up the Illinois Times and see more frequent non-alcoholic, non-late night, non-ear-busting events.

Thankfully, I no longer have to use the phrase "Smoke-filled."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?