Friday, March 21, 2008

Brain Flight from SPFLD



After graduating from the University of Illinois at Springfield, I thought it would be easier to get a job here. I have BA and AAS degrees, you would think those would be easy-ins for me here, but that wasn't true.

I wound up working for a temp agency that placed me in a minimum wage clerical position. When I finally was hired in a real job that matched my skill level, it was a company based in another state that hired me for a local position.

At first I couldn't figure out why I was having so much difficulty. I didn't want to leave the state, but I was getting close to deciding that I didn't have a choice but to leave for a bigger city. It wasn't until I began to think about what these employers in Springfield were thinking when they received my resume, then it dawned on me they must be thinking "Why on God's green earth is a college graduate applying for a job in Springfield of all places?"

Employers here must be so used to seeing their own children and their childrens' friends planning on leaving town after graduating and only coming back to visit on holidays and funerals, that there must be something wrong with someone who has two college degrees applying for a job in Springfield.

So, now I work in Springfield for a business from out-of-state where the profits leave the state instead of the highly qualified employees. Oh, the irony... and morons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?