Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sinister Classifieds

I saw a highlighted Classified ad in the Illinois State Journal Register this morning. I didn't take a highlighter out of the drawer and mark it myself, so what the heck is going on? Is there a ghost in the house?

Looking closer I noticed that the yellow highlight was perfectly within the lines. I was furious. Someone has taken what was once an even playing field of black and white text ads, and destroyed it with color.

When I worked at the South Bend Tribune back in the early 1990's someone had such an idea, and it was shot down with a force unseen in management. "That would be a SIN! It would infuriate and confuse the readers! It would render the popular yellow highlighter totally useless."

The yellow on the classified ad was actually printed. I separated out the yellow tint with Adobe Photoshop, and it turned out to be Offset printed! This means that the yellow color does not cover the letters, it goes around the outside of each letter! A feat almost humanly improbable (but not impossible) without patience, steady hand, or stamina.



For those of you who have lots of family members around, your probably by now asking them "Was it you who highlighted this ad? Don't lie to me! You're the only other person here and I didn't do this!"

I have a feeling the police will be called on many more Domestic Disturbances because of people's misconstrued assumptions about the yellow ink on one tiny classified ad.

Then, there will be lots of lawyers. Like the Army of the Damned out of the gates of Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?